In iOS 8, Apple added widget support but unlike other mobile operating systems like Android where the widgets are on the home screen, Apple placed them in the notification center instead acting as a good alternative to the home screen.
Today the swipe down notification panel has turned into a rich overview of daily activities and information. This could be anything from Stocks and calendar, traffic status, today and tomorrow summary of appointments.
The most powerful attribute of the updated notification center is now that it supports third-party widgets from apps, below are some of the top 5 third-party widgets.
1. ESPN SportsCenter – It allows you to keep up with your favorite sports teams with team tracking, injury reports, scores and upcoming games. The nice thing about this widget is there are no push notifications interrupting and annoying you while busy, instead you can just swap down and view the information when you want to.
2. WDGT – brings multiple new widgets such as a calculator, currency conversion, time zone checker and a few other useful widgets.
3. Weather underground – provides all types of weather information such as temperature, location, the low, the high and weather alerts with more information than Apple’s own weather widget.
4. Evernote – allows you to create and view recent notes in your notification center if you use Evernote for your notes app.
5. Quick-tap – It a widget and when tapped you can one click call people, play your favorite songs and open your favorite apps.
Do you use any of these widgets? What are you’re favorite widgets on your phone?